With us everything should be secondary compared to our concern with children,
and their upbringing in the instruction and teaching of the Lord.
– St. John Chrysostom
How to educate your children is an important topic for any parent, and you may be looking for ways to raise your children in an Orthodox environment. This is why the Orthodox Youth Directors of North America has put together this resource to connect parents with Orthodox Schools and Home Schooling Resources.
The Orthodox Christian School Association's mission is to bring the light of Christ to America through schooling that unites intellectual, spiritual, and cultural growth as inseparable needs for the human person.
They seek to be a catalyst for the growth of Orthodox Christian primary and secondary schools, a central resource for their needs, as well as a means of their unified efforts to cultivate a noble and dignified society as understood by the Orthodox Christian faith.
The OCSA has complied a list of Orthodox schools that you can contact that can help provide our children with an Orthodox education. Take a look at the list and learn more about the organization here.
There is not always an Orthodox option available for our youths education. The Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America has created the Department of Home Schooling.
The primary goal of the Department of Home Schooling is to promote, support and unite home schooling throughout the Archdiocese. Secondarily, the department seeks to remind all parents that their children’s education is their responsibility, whether or not they “outsource” this task.
For More information please visit the Department Webpage
Other Home Schooling Resources
- Home School Legal Defense Association – This is an essential starting point for researching and navigating the law and procedures in each state. For a nominal fee, they can be retained, prior to any incident, for legal advice and defense for member families, as well as other benefits. https://www.hslda.org/
- St. Emmelia Homeschool Conference: Consider attending this annual conference for families of all ages and stages: https://www.saintemmelia.com/all-conferences
- Children’s Garden of the Theotokos – Waldorf Style purchase-ready curriculum for younger children https://www.anaphorapress.com/curriculum
- St. Raphael School – Orthodox, offers full classes for all ages and once-a-week catechism of middle- and high-school www.RaphaelSchool.Org
- Classical Learning Resource Center – http://clrconline.com/
- Portfolio-Based History, Bible and Nature Studies – http://www.homeschooljourney.com/
- CiRCE Institute – Supporting with a Classical approach to Homeschooling – https://www.circeinstitute.org/
- Not Orthodox but widely Christian history of the world… great reviews http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/index.php
- Classical Conversations – A Christian Classical Learning Community with local campuses across the nations.
St. Athanasius Academy of Orthodox Theology - Aids parents in the teaching of the faith to their children and supplements school "core" subjects. https://www.saaot.edu/
- St. Kosmas Conferences - https://saintkosmas.org/conferences
- Illumination Learning - An Orthodox Homeschool Curriculum Guide for Early Elementary Children http://illumination-learning.com/main/2020/08/05/introducing-an-orthodox-homeschool-curriculum-guide-for-early-elementary-children/?fbclid=IwAR21D_832eX3uvUFQlZnGGsuH12ApBsqjY_zIHm7d6erbeoJTOLD6v99dbo